A recent marriage to Kd8KRS (Jane) and a move into a new house with a new exercise schedule – walking “Fast Eddy” our dog – has given me some insight into two interesting tracker technologies. One uses ham radio (Automatic Packet Reporting System – or – APRS) and the other uses proprietary hardware and software via Apple’s iPhone. They each have advantages and disadvantages. I thought I would share my insights since many hams may not know about the iPhone advantages and many iPhone enthusiasts may not know about the ham radio advantages.
First – both of these trackers use a GPS sensor to send data over a radio (ham radio or cell phone, which is a radio) into the internet where some or anyone can display the data on a map like Google Maps, etc.. They both have applications that do some data processing and analysis (reports speed of travel, direction of travel, elevation reports, etc.). My ham radio APRS device is about the size of a cell phone. It attaches via cables to a power source, a GPS sensor, and the radio. I use a relatively small GPS sensor – about the size of a half dollar and maybe ¼” thick. And it’s magnetized. Very James Bondish… I only track myself, for the record. An iPhone has a built-in GPS sensor. No external cords are required.
My ham radio beats the iPhone in ability to transmit the GPS data long distanes. I have seen my data reach Milwaukee, WI APRS iGates (ham radios connected to the internet for APRS data transmission) from Appleton, WI – around 100 mile trip. A cell phone is limited to line of sight – 60 miles at BEST, but probably more like 15 miles to the nearest cell phone tower? Also, a cell phone used in a car has limited signal because it has a tough time getting out of the car’s metal cage. A ham radio on a car can talk around the world (my record from Wisconsin is Italy) on the right frequency.
To investigate the iPhone application I saw, go to www.RunKeeper.com . One advantage of RunKeeper is that you can post your tracked results to Twitter or FaceBook with one click. It takes a bit more to post APRS maps. I can see all of Jane’s results because I have her e-mail address and password. RunKeeper does accumulation of data by week, etc.. It is really nice to use and is fun to be able to see how long you’ve walked, etc.. One disadvantage is that you have to post the data to Twitter or FaceBook for others to see it if they don’t have your e-mail address and password. With ham radio APRS, the data is instantly publically available at the following mapping sites – for example to see my APRS tracks, use AB9NN-9 as the log-in or callsign:
I believe that other cell phones have some tracking and mapping capability. Check with the provider first before buying. Also, carefully consider what you want for a tracking capability before use. For example, SkyWarn wants us to use APRS locally. Buying an expensive cell phone for that application would be a waste of money.
Stay radio active!
Jon Kreski, AB9NN
http://www.Twitter.com/AB9NN – follow me!
Related Blogs For HamRadioResources.com
- Glenn Beck Loses NYC Radio Station
- Playing Around with APRS at The KØNR Weblog
- Watch Newcastle United v West Ham United Online Free Live Streaming Video – English Premier League – Wednesday, January 5, 2011 – 19:45 GMT | Free Live Sports TV
- Which to pay off first? [aprs] [credit card] | IRS Debt Settlement
- Raven Internet Marketing Tools Integrates Textbroker | Seo Information Search
- Ann Arbor Fuel Cell Developer Adaptive Materials Acquired by Ultra Electronics Holdings | Xconomy
- Internet Commerce Pioneer Seeks to Crack Secretive Culture With Cancer Commons | Xconomy
- UFXN » Blog Archive » viagra find sites computer href
- Analysts Predicting Android Will Overwhelm iPhone | Search Engine Journal
- Newcastle United v West Ham match preview. | Newcastle United Blog.
- Newcastle vs West Ham Live Online Stream (Premier League)
- Resistance Was Futile: Garmin Finally Launches GPS iPhone App
- Verizon has iPhone domains ready for a launch – Cell Phones & Mobile Device Technology News & Updates | Geek.com
- Building Wireless Sensor Networks Released « Rob Faludi
- New GPS System Boosts Accuracy To 3cm
- Cell Phone Companies Listen To Everyone Ever, Decide To Standardize Phone Chargers | Best Week Ever
- Newcastle United vs West Ham United EPL Direct tv Streaming
- Cool Websites and Tools [January 3rd] | APPnox
- What’s happening with Windows Phone updates in 2011 | Windows Phone Secrets
- Meet the homeless man with the perfect radio voice
- AB9NN’s Wisconsin Storm Spotter’s Week
- Lake Michigan Area (Michigan / Wisconsin) APRS Coverage
- How To Track Someone With APRS.FI
- Marriage Proposal Ham Radio Style!
- Ham Radio A.P.R.S. Install Experiences And Insights
- Dedicated A.P.R.S. Radio and Antenna Install
- Ham Radio APRS ARES and MORE!
- Ham Radio’s APRS On Facebook
- ALOHA A.P.R.S. Hams!
- Ham Radio – APRS Education (continued…)